Kismet refit – Update 3

Dear friends,

I just checked because I couldn’t really remember. More than five months have gone by since the last update on the refit of Kismet. Well it’s time for a new one!

First things first. Since last Thursday Kismet is back in the water and I am glad to share she floats gracefully with a totally dry bilge. Considering we replaced all the through-hulls, closed a couple of unused ones and exchanged the dripless shaft seal, I call this a job well done! 🙂 Having a dry bilge as a starting point is important to us since it allows to promptly recognise if any water would be leaking into the boat.

IMG_3922

And since Friday the mast is also back in place. With a weight of more than 1 metric ton the waterline went down quite a bit when it was stepped. The genoa furler and the boom are not yet in place but they will go in this week. Before being stepped the mast has been cleaned with a special chemical which preserves the anodisation of the aluminium and makes it all shiny like new. Check in the picture below the cleaned part (right) versus the uncleaned one (left).

IMG_3924

 

IMG_3958

 

Among everything we have done, the new teak deck is by far what makes her totally look like a new boat. 😉 It was definitely worth the… ehm… investment! We decided to keep the original toe rail, which has just been sanded and oiled, but the rest is totally new. The new teak deck has a honey color which is typical of new boats just out of the factory. Simply gorgeous looking. Check for yourself by comparing a picture of Kismet with a picture of a brand new Hallberg-Rassy 64 taken at the Düsseldorf boat show in 2014.

20140118-IMG_7660

IMG_3986

By the way, I am sure you have noted that our cockpit is at present time particularly empty, like something is missing… Well, it is! The whole steering pedestal with the new console has not been installed yet. I am very pleased with the end result of the new console. Here the final realisation versus original design comparison.

IMG_3946

Screen Shot 2015-02-04 at 14.11.07

I like very much the idea to use a teak wood base on stainless steel to house the engine throttle lever. Note also that we have some space left on the panel for some additional future push buttons/switches if needed.

Speaking of major custom components, finally the stern arch has also been built. In this case it is slightly different from the original design as we had to give it some additional mechanical strength, but it has everything it was supposed to have. We oversized some of the cables to accomodate future upgrades of the photo-voltaic panels since their efficiency is expected to grow in the coming years. As a result we had to run cables through both the aft columns to keep some space for future expansions (how about a sat-phone antenna for example?) We will run everything inside the aft storage compartment and then go through the bulk-head with some water-tight cable glands.

IMG_3951

IMG_3980

On the arch are 4 x 100W mono-crystallyne photo-voltaic modules, a 450W SilentWind generator, 2 x GPS antennas, one secondary VHF antenna (the primary is on the top of the mast together with the AIS one), the Navtex antenna and the Web-Catcher (also by SilentWind) with a 8 dBi omni-directional antenna. The arch also works as dinghy davits, so we moved the stern navigation light to it for proper visibility. The final installation of the stern arch plus the routing and connection of all the wires is next on the to-do list.

We have two weeks to go before the final sea-trial and the departure for our next adventure. The clock is ticking and there are still many items to tick off the to-do list. Fingers crossed!

Till next time with the final update. 🙂

Fair winds,
Marco

One thought on “Kismet refit – Update 3

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*
*
Website